Sunday 31 July 2011

An iPad 2 For Miya

I do not consider my daughter to have a disability; she is a perfectly able individual. She is right along side her peers in all areas of development. I am, however, not blind to that fact that someday she may need some assistance in some area or another. I want her to be fully prepared and ready to take on anything.

My parents bought Miya an iPad. iPads are wonderful tools for children with and without special needs. The iPad will assist in her cognitive development (unfortunately, until Miya has her bone marrow transplant, mucopolysaccharides continue to build up in her brain), assist with Occupational Therapy, language skills, word and object recognition, as well as her fine motor skills. (People with MPS and related diseases have unique hands. The shape of the hands is very noticeable. They are short and broad with stubby fingers, which can become "clawed". Hands are the symbol of the MPS Society.) Already, Miya has got the hang of many apps, and loves anything to do with "peek-a-boo". She loves apps which allow her to create music and draw with her finger.

We have invested in the Gumdrop Drop Series Military Edition case for this iPad. I think drop protection for this valuable piece of equipment is essential and after viewing this on the blog of another MPS family (see Saving Case) I decided on this particular cover.

Many of you might think that an iPad for a one year old is a little excessive. I might have agreed with you a few weeks ago, before I had the opportunity to see Miya use one and before I did some research. Not only is it a fun tool, it is also an educational tool. It helps ease boredom and provides distraction for sometimes painful medical procedures. 

Miya would like to say a big "THANK YOU!!!" to Nan H and Grampy Green!!! Oh, and I would too.

No comments:

Post a Comment