Monday 18 July 2011

The Haircut

I cut Miya's hair today.  It was/is a big deal for me.  The haircut makes things real, you know? I dreaded the haircut because I knew it would make things real for me.  I had a little panic attack afterwards.  I bought her a beanie from Baby Gap so she wouldn't have to be bald in public.  I hate it when people stare at bald babies and think "Look at the poor cancer baby".  She can't help it that she needs chemo for her bone marrow transplant. She doesn't mind the hat, but she does tug at it from time to time.  We were out for a bit today and I had taken her hat off her.  People kept staring and I was wondering what they were staring at.  Until I remembered the haircut. 



Each time I look at her, I get a little jolt and think "What happened to your hair?!".  Then I remember...

On a brighter note, we received some funding from SSAFA and have found rooms available at the Union Jack Club, a hotel for service personnel and their dependents. It's about a half hour walk away from the hospital. If it's raining, we can take the tube but we have to be mindful about touching our hands to our faces, mouth, etc. to minimize the risk of infection. If one of us gets sick, we can't go in with Miya. If Miya gets sick, it could be disastrous. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice to be visiting your blog once more, it has been months for me. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long. i want this article to finish my assignment within the faculty, and it has same topic together with your article. Thanks, nice share. men's grooming

    ReplyDelete